Monday, April 15, 2013

boston i love you

for those of you who aren't familiar with my story:
nearly 6 years ago i met a guy, fell in love, and moved to boston (this of course is an oversimplification but for the sake of not reliving the past half a decade of my life it will work).
 i had dreamed of visiting boston for years.
the idea of finally not only visiting but making it my home was overwhelmingly intense but i graciously accepted the challenge.  
i instantly fell in love with the city.
i spent my afternoons wandering the streets, popping in and out of little shops, and eating lunch on the docks behind the intercontinental hotel.  
i found corners of that city that i felt were all mine.  places that no one else in all of boston could have found. could have loved half as much as i loved them.
i was in heaven. 
the first job i took was in copley square. a half a block away from the public library. around the corner from the boston marathon finish line.  
i think about boston nearly every day.  every single day.
i think about the decisions that i made to get there and the life that i lead while wandering around.
i wasn't happy with a lot of things about my life at the time but i found happiness in my love for the city.
ask those who visited me while i lived there and they will tell you that i loved showing off boston.  i could talk about the place for hours.  sometimes i still do.
right now all i can do is attempt to hold back tears while i stand in an empty salon and watch the news unfold about the explosions at the marathon finish line.
i will be the first to admit that my love affair with boston has never been smooth but i have never once spoken ill of her.  (the people that inhabit her; well that's another issue all together.)
 
 
boston my darling,
i hope you heal quickly. 
you really were my first big city love.
and, i cannot wait to visit you once again.  





i took these photos while i lived there.  
the second to last photo is of my mom sitting at my favorite place in the whole world, overlooking the bay. 

//
 
hug the city you love the most.  embrace the possibility.  remember it fondly. 

No comments:

Post a Comment